Tuesday

May 7

WILL this querulousness, this murmuring, this complaining and dissembling never be at an end? What, then, is it that troubleth thee? Doth any new thing happen unto thee? What dost thou so wonder at ? At the cause, or the matter? Behold either by itself, is either of that weight and moment indeed? And besides these, there is not anything. But thy duty towards the 'gods also, it is time that thou shouldst acquit thyself of it with more goodness and simplicity.

MARCUS AURELIUS. MEDITATIONS. Book ix. 35.

MANY of those things that trouble and straighten thee, it is in thy power to cut off, as wholly depending from mere conceit and opinion, and then thou shalt have room enough.

MARCUS AURELIUS. MEDITATIONS. Book ix. 3.

2 comments:

  1. If we can control how we perceive troubles in our lives, we often find that they are not quite so troublesome. A change of outlook can often act like a virtual room cleansing of our spirit and attitude.

    Life is what it is and there are circumstances that are beyond our control to stop but we can change our perception of them and find serenity.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Summary: Many of the things that trouble you are in your power to cut off, because they are only your perception and opinion. Marcus Aurelius 9.3.

    What is troubling me? Is it external, and if so, is it in my control? If I have acted virtuously, then those things that happen are inevitable. If I have not, the I must see to my own heart and mind, and regulate them first. Only then can I turn and face the troubles, and I will see that they are challenges and opportunities to test my resolve.

    ReplyDelete