Monday

September 16

HE hath a stronger body, and is a better wrestler than I. What then? Is he more bountiful? is he more modest? Doth he bear all adverse chances with more equanimity: Or with his neighbour's offences with more meekness and gentleness than I?

MARCUS AURELIUS. MEDITATIONS. Book viii. 28.

A VERY ridiculous thing it is, that any man should dispense with vice and wickedness in himself, which is in his power to restrain; and should go about to suppress it in others, which is altogether impossible.

MARCUS AURELIUS. MEDITATIONS. Book vii. 41.

2 comments:

  1. We are the only person that we can control. We have no influence over an other's choices or actions. We can suggest the appropriate action to them and also try to be an example of correct choices to them, but, ultimately in that moment of decisions, the choice is solely theirs.

    We must look to living our own lives with virtue and forethought and hope that our example will be a beacon on a hill to others.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Today is not a good "body" day. I am suffering from quite a bit of pain and my hips feel like they should be on someone else's body as they don't seem to be fitting... I have to accept things as they are and not wish for someone else's health, etc. I can do what is in my power, try to exercise, eat healthily, get lots of rest, etc. The rest is in the hands of the Universe and out of my control. There are so many people who are in better shape than I am but there are also so many others, close friends included, who have far more health challenges than I do. I will embrace a positive outlook and just keep moving forward for the virtues and living a virtuous life is what is most important. An inner beauty and radiance rather than an outer.

    ReplyDelete